Office Assistant Intern
This position is with the USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS), The Produce Safety and Microbiology Research Unit in Albany, CA. The Produce Safety and Microbiology Research Unit conducts fundamental and applied research to improve the safety of the nation's food supply. Molecular, biochemical, and analytical research approaches are used in understanding interactions between pathogenic bacteria and fresh produce and in developing novel interventions to remove or minimize contamination by these pathogenic microorganisms in foods. Genomic and proteomic methods are employed for detection, identification, and fingerprinting of multiple foodborne pathogens, and to assist in investigations and source-tracking studies of fresh produce production environments and associated risk factors. Our research will promote increased options to enhance food safety by producers and a safer food supply for the consumer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· The incumbent of this position serves as a personal assistant to the Research Leader (RL) and other professional staff, coordinating a wide variety of administrative and clerical tasks essential to the program administration of the Management Unit. Provides technical and procedural advice in support of research program administration by identifying and analyzing issues and taking or recommending action using established guidelines.
· Serves as the primary administrative business process point of contact for the unit. Responsible for the administrative oversight of various business processes, which may include processing financial, procurement, extramural agreements, property, personnel, and other administrative instruments for the management unit. Maintains tracking logs, action items, manages administrative suspense items and transaction records. Based on delegated authority from the Research Leader may be responsible for approving expenditures, utilizing Purchase Card Management System and Blanket Purchase Agreements.
· Advises on procedural and documentation requirements for the Current Research Information System (CRIS) projects, research plans, annual progress reports, research associate proposals, manuscripts, international travel proposals and follow-up trip reports, and cooperative agreements, grants, and trusts.
· Based on knowledge of the subject matter, assembles information from a variety of sources for the use of the RL at meetings, conferences, etc.
· Uses an electronic calendar, database or spreadsheet software to document employee leave schedules and to commit the RL’s time for appointments and meetings; transmits and receives documents and messages electronically.
· Performs various tasks using on-line systems such as information searches on the World Wide Web (e.g., literature searches for CRIS projects) in support of the research program; and constructions and/or maintains Management Unit’s web site (i.e., selects and scans materials, pictures, and slides; transfers files and information from various PC programs and downloads from the Internet onto the server; ensures that the information displayed on the Home Page is current and accurately reflects the unit’s research focus and accomplishments).
· Prepares travel requests and vouchers for foreign and domestic travel. Maintains a detailed knowledge of travel policies and regulations in order to serve as a technical resource to unit personnel. Advises on travel allowances and requirement and ensures adherence to travel regulations. Uses automated systems and software for travel and voucher preparation.
· Preferred Majors: Business, Communication, Accounting, Language, Computer Science and other related majors.
· Skill in oral and written communication in order to prepare or compose correspondence, convey statements of fact or make inquiries, and to provide assistance.
· Working knowledge of the work processes and procedures of an administrative field (e.g., office administration, budget, travel, agreements, human resources, procurement/purchasing, pay and leave).
· Knowledge of technical terminology, correspondence guidelines, and editing/proofreading techniques.
· Microsoft Office proficiency.
· Completion of freshman year of college before the internship begins.
· Minimum 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
· Enrollment in a degree‐seeking program (BA/BS, Masters, JD, MD, or Ph.D.) at an accredited higher education institution. Students pursuing only a credential or certificate program will be considered ineligible.
· Recent graduates are eligible if you participate within 12 months of your graduation. Instead of providing a certification of enrollment form, you will be required to upload a copy of your certificate of graduation or a copy of your conferred degree.
· U.S Citizen.
· Selectee will submit an application to the Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities National Internship Program (www.hacu.net/hnip) that includes official transcripts, verification of enrollment with anticipated graduation date, and letter of recommendation from professor, advisor, or department head on University letterhead.
- Selectee will submit fingerprints and undergo a security background check.
Agency: Agricultural Research Service
800 Buchannan St
Albany, CA 94710
• Undergraduate: $15.25/hour
• Graduate: $17.00/hour
INTERNSHIP DATES: January 7 – April 23
How to Apply: E-mail resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 27th, 2020.
Put “Office Assistant-Albany” in the SUBJECT line of the email.
RESUME SUBMISSION DEADLINE: November 27th, 2020
For more information on the internship position, please contact: email@example.com
For more information on the HACU Program, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
HACU will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, disability, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, veteran status, or non-job related factors in hiring.