Summer 2021 - CFP Internship
Summer 2021 – CFP Internship
RBC Wealth Management is part of the Royal Bank of Canada. Its subsidiaries operate under the master brand name RBC. RBC is one of the world’s leading diversified financial services companies, distinguished by a long heritage of financial strength, integrity and unwavering dedication to our clients. RBC Wealth Management’s business is financial advising. Our financial advisors and their teams sit across the country in our different branch offices, serving our clients and growing our business.
What is the opportunity?
We are actively seeking undergraduate students who are pursuing their CFP certification to support our Private Client Group RBC Wealth Management – U.S. Our program is 10 weeks long and provides students the opportunity to gain in-depth, hands-on experience while working and learning alongside our experienced financial services professionals. Our program includes learning sessions, social outings, volunteer work, career development, networking opportunities, exposure to executive leadership and more.
What will you do?
- Participate in developing client communication such as letters and email.
- Help organize client information for efficient client contact and tracking; become familiar with RBC ClientView.
- Periodically observe client meetings (such as reviewing a client’s retirement plan) with financial advisors and other support staff.
- Learn and work with social media presence including advisor and branch websites, LinkedIn for Business and Facebook for Business.
- Become familiar with wealth planning technology tools such as RBC WealthPlan.
- Learn and help provide actual financial planning activities such as assisting in calculations for retirement plans (e.g., what if they want to retire early, etc.)
- Become familiar with asset allocation (e.g., what are we looking for, and why it is important in a portfolio).
- Track performance of stocks and mutual funds and look at three and five year performance (e.g., in-depth versus other funds in the category; help to determine risk, etc.)
- Reconstruct cost basis and learn the basic tax effects of capital gains, dividends, etc.
- Track stop orders for clients; understand the difference between types of orders (GTC, day, stop, limit, etc.) and when they are appropriate.
- Learn about purchasing bonds e.g., (why discount bonds, what if rates change, etc.)
- Research information for clients, such as trade information for a class action suit.
What do you need to succeed?
- Current undergraduate Junior or Senior (graduation dates between 2021 – May 2022) pursuing a CFP certification
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities, take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills with ability to review, analyze, and manipulate data
- Interest in financial services industry
- Leadership experience
- Ability to work 40 hours per week for the duration of the program (June to August)
The 2021 program will be June 7th – August 13th. Interns are responsible for their own housing, meals and travel expenses.
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Direct exposure to financial planning practices at RBC Wealth Management
- Valuable training, learning sessions, social outings, volunteer work, career development, networking opportunities, exposure to executive leadership, dedicated mentor and more
- The chance to work for dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing teams
- Positive work culture emphasizing diversity and inclusion, volunteerism and community involvement
Although the application deadline is in the Fall, please know that we may review and interview candidates throughout the school year. Please check TalentLink for your application status.