JC-256905 : Staff Services Manager I
Under general direction, the Staff Services Manager I, is responsible for managing, training, and supervising staff in housing policy activities, with an emphasis on land use, or housing policy, program development, implementation and administration, review of planning documents an, coordination with other teams and units . Responsibilities include but are not limited to, managing direct reports and policy and program functions across multiple housing policy and program functions, research, research, report preparation, stakeholder outreach, and technical assistance activities. The incumbent also provides policy and legislative analyses, advice, and recommendations on housing and community development polices, and actively supports the Department’s mission and policy priorities.
- Manage professionals within the unit by providing oversight and guidance to staff in support of division mission. Manage direct reports and policy and program functions across multiple housing policy and program functions, research, research, report preparation, stakeholder outreach, and technical assistance activities. Responsible for ensuring complete, accurate and effective work products and deadlines for all projects, reports, and assignments within the unit are met.
- Identify, arrange, and approve technical training needs of staff, and direct workflow on multiple department projects and strategic objectives concurrently. Strategically deploy staff to high priority departmental initiatives. Promote quality customer service. Establish and strengthen interdepartmental coordination. Develop procedures and policies to improve services and effective performance of programmatic activity. Assist management in measuring the past and potential impact of policy decisions and activities. Identify and recommend organizational improvements.
- Serve as a Department expert on housing and community development policy, representing the Department as needed with external partners and in intergovernmental partnerships. Recommend course and direction for the Department and Division’s activities. Provide technical expertise, policy analyses, advice and recommendations on housing and community development issues and legislation. Prepare research and policy briefs, reports, and multimedia presentations covering a variety of policy analysis and research topic areas. Perform formal presentations to program and executive staff, control agencies, and external stakeholders to explain and support policy positions, program implementation, and recommendations for adoption by the state and local governments in the interest of addressing the affordable housing crisis throughout the state.
- Communicate performance expectations, provide coaching and feedback to employees in accordance with department policies and procedures. Oversee personnel matters and other administrative functions as necessary. Conduct performance appraisals and individual work plans with regular performance feedback to staff. Conduct hiring interviews and complete personnel documentation to maintain adequate staffing levels and facilitate the recruitment process. Approve payroll reports, travel, and leave requests of staff pursuant to guidelines. Manage contracts with external consultants.
- Responsible for the completion of other projects, assignments, and budgeting tasks as directed by management.