Assistant Project Manager | Transportation Engineer 4
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is eager to hire an experience engineering professional to lead a diverse group of engineers and technicians as the Assistant Project Manager for the SR-520 Montlake to Lake Washington I/C and Bridge Replacement Project. This position is responsible for construction oversight and quality management of the project. As the Assistant Project Manager, this position will support WSDOT’s mission to ensure work meets or exceeds contract requirements for the project and will make certain that the Design-Builder will establish and implement a detail focused Quality Management program. This highly technical position requires extensive knowledge of complex construction projects daily operations with the ability to identify and manage risks. The responsibilities of this position will have a high impact to fulfill WSDOT’s mission of providing and supporting safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to improve livable communities and economic vitality for the state of Washington.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Assistant Project Manager will:
- Manage the Construction and Quality Oversight of the SR-520 Montlake to Lake Washington I/C and Bridge Replacement Project.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the project Quality Verification Audit Plan and review and approve project documentation prepared by staff.
- Interpret and explain complex structural/civil engineering plans to diverse audiences.
- Make informed decisions on construction related issues and complex engineering problems.
- Analyze and plan workforce hiring, interviewing and empowering staff to perform work activities according to their skills and capabilities.
- Review and respond to Design-Builder submittals including design documents, released for construction plans and working drawings for contract compliance and constructability issues.
- Review monthly schedule updates and progress payments related to assigned work for verification of schedule activity progress and logical sequence between activities.
- Represent WSDOT and attend in Project Meetings.
- Resolve disputes and find resolution to Design-Builder non-conformance issues
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- One (1) year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 3, or equivalent such as a Bridge Engineer 3 or Transportation Planning Specialist 3.
- Experience in Design-Build bridge and contract administration procedures with special attention to quality management
- Current Driver’s License
- Proficient in the use of computer software programs including Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to respectfully communicate, both orally and written, with groups and individuals representing the Contractor, WSDOT, Local Agencies, Resource Agencies, and the community.
- Proficient in reading, understanding, and interpreting complex construction contract plans, technical requirements, special provisions, and standards specifications.
- Strong knowledge of transportation engineering, construction work methods, personnel management, estimating and risk analysis, and scheduling.
- Strong background in management, communication skills, engineering principals, and knowledge of State and local environmental regulations.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering
- Certification as an Engineer In Training.
- Five (5) years of WSDOT Design-Build experience on complex engineering projects with at least 3 (three) years of bridge construction experience.
- Experience supervising and mentoring diverse groups of engineers and technicians.
- The information provided on your application profile, any supplemental material attached to your application, and the responses to the supplemental questions will be used to determine qualifications for interview selection. Therefore, it is to your advantage that your application packet be completed in as much detail as possible.
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium.
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of applications will be conducted on July 21st. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- This position is expected to work 40 hours per week but requires the ability to work irregular and unexpected hours based on the construction project timeline and contractor’s schedule.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-80504 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.