Senior Director of Communications
Description of Work
**This position is exempt policymaking**
This is a repost. Previous applicants are still being considered and do not need to reapply.
Join DHHS and share your passion and skills at a forward-thinking department that daily impacts the lives of all citizens of the State of North Carolina.
The Senior Director of Communications directs the department's messaging, communication, and stakeholder engagement strategies to advance the health and well-being of North Carolinians. Participates as a member of the department's management team, advising senior leadership on policy formulation and the potential public impact/public reaction to proposed policies and serving as the department's chief spokesperson.
Duties include providing senior leadership in directing, planning, evaluating, and executing external affairs strategies. Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Develop and lead strategies to promote understanding and active engagement in DHHS strategic priorities by key external organizations, decision-makers and other stakeholders that drive improved health and well-being in NC.
- Oversee the Office of Communications which is the central press, public relations, marketing and communications section for DHHS. Through outreach materials, news releases, interviews, fact sheets, web pages and other publications, the staff in this unit helps the public understand programs and issues.
- Serve as liaison for the Department with key stakeholders, Governor’s Office and the NC General Assembly as directed by Department leadership.
- Develop effective high-level relationships with key partner organizations and maximize the use of key senior leaders' time in engagement and relationship-building activities that contribute to achieving DHHS’ mission and goals.
About the NC Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS):
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) is the state agency responsible for ensuring the health, safety and well-being of all North Carolinians, providing human service needs for special populations including individuals who are deaf, blind, developmentally disabled and mentally ill, and helping North Carolinians achieve economic independence. DHHS touches the lives of virtually every North Carolinian from birth to old age through prenatal programs, child development programs, and rest home regulations, which are all part of the DHHS charge. The Office of the Secretary plans, consolidates, reorganizes, and directs all DHHS Programs. This involves considerable interaction with the Office of the Governor, other Cabinet offices, Members/Committees of General Assembly and DHHS Division/Program Leadership to ensure DHHS services are delivered to the citizens as efficiently as possible while meeting the various State and Federal laws that apply. DHHS is one of the largest and most complicated state agencies in state government.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the application form. Any information listed under the text resume section or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit. Qualified applicants must document on the application that they possess all of the following:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and methods of planning and conducting a large-scale public relations program.
- Thorough knowledge of journalistic, communication, and/or publication principles and techniques for disseminating information to the public through a variety of media.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain working relationships with the general public and representatives of the communications media.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, public affairs, media, journalism, English or a related field from an appropriately accredited institution and eight years of experience in communications, public relations, or publicity work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.