Senior Producer, Louder Than A Riot
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
NPR Music’s Louder Than A Riot is a seasonal hip-hop podcast that prides itself on reframing hot-button issues in completely new ways. Louder Than A Riot is hosted by two dynamic, decisive, Black music journalists who between them have more than 20 years of experience covering the world of hip-hop. In Season 2 of the show, Rodney Carmichael and Sidney Madden will continue to investigate hip-hop and the power of American institutions from all angles — the power the music industry wields over artists, the power of institutional forces that marginalize communities of color, and the power dynamics deep-rooted in the rap game. Now, we are looking for someone to help us grow and think about new directions for the show.
About You: You’re a knowledgeable hip-hop head who follows the moves of the industry and the culture. You think about Black music’s cultural capital, and are always asking questions about its place in the world and its larger social impact. You are also an experienced, strong, creative producer with new ideas about audio. You can cut audio, write, produce, score -- and do it all quickly. You’re experienced in narrative audio production, managing a team, and ready to be the lead producer on a show with terrific hosts and a team with varied levels of experience. You’re excited about making something new.
This is a short-term assignment, with the minimum term running from October 1, 2021 through June 1 2022. This job is remote, but you must be willing to travel 30% for field reporting and interviewing.
This is a fully remote position.
The Senior Producer works in partnership with the Editor to lead all aspects of show production as needed; support of the hosts, producers and other contributors to the program. The Senior Producer will oversee production of each episode of the podcast, working with producers to ensure the highest quality product is achieved, maintaining high journalistic standards, while adhering to deadlines. The Senior Producer will assist in generating story and interview ideas; editing audio; scoring episodes, conducting research, arranging interviews; writing program copy and editing production material. Ability to collaborate, and clearly communicate is required as the Senior Producer will partner with colleagues across the organization and act as a mentor to more junior staff.
- Participate in editorial planning of the show, including episode topic selection, story ideas, and selection/booking of guests/experts.
- Determine assignments and regularly provides editorial guidance to staff
- With the team, evolve the sound and focus of the show. Create new segments.
- Produce and mix and score the show
- Act as coach and mentor for hosts & staff, regularly providing guidance and training as necessary
- Work on major, long-term projects, as well as short deadline pieces, sometimes simultaneously
- Regularly lead and drive planning and editing of podcast episodes and/or other content as needed
- Monitor coverage for overall balance, variety of stories and content and types of pieces
- Ensure that all content complies with NPR’s standards for accuracy and fairness
- Coordinates with the editor to manage workflow
- Responsible for editorial integrity and quality of published content, and ensuring that all content complies with NPR's standard for accuracy and fairness
- Assume other duties as assigned. Meeting deadlines is important.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least five years experience producing on Dalet, Cool Edit, ProTools or similar broadcast digital audio workstations
- At least five years’ experience in podcasting or broadcasting
- Ability to edit audio in ProTools
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently under deadline pressure
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes
- Thorough knowledge of hip-hop and pop culture
- Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- Strong oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Critical Thinking
- Building Stakeholder Relationships
- Managing Complexity
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.