Fiber Optics Facilities Engineer
The Deep Space Network has an opening for a motivated engineer to support the dynamic facilities management program at all the operating sites around the world. The team is looking for a project engineer that is has a working background in fiber optics to manage a high-priority program to upgrade the DSN most critical functions at the antenna facilities. This position is responsible for the technical performance of the station facilities equipment at the DSN complexes to include maintenance of all equipment in compliance with currently applicable standards and regulations for the hardware and controls in the building structures, including seismic requirements and roof load. HVAC equipment, including chillers, chilled water support of transmitter and waveguide cooling and controls. Will work with personnel to develop plans and scheduled for maintain upgrading and replacing capital equipment. The successful candidate needs to have experience in fiber optics, control theory, electronics and communication facilities and maintenance.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
1. Develop long-range maintenance strategies to ensure high levels of reliability and conformance with customer requirements.
2. Maintains close liaison with technical and support personnel.
3. Provide critical engineering input and support for the three Deep Space Communication Complex and recommends improvements in the facilities operations processes.
and schedules, oversee the fabrication, modification, and installation of components.
4. Provide coordination with other groups to accomplish tasks outside normal areas of responsibility.
5. Develops long-term plans and ensures appropriate skills are available when needed.
6. Ensures plans, policies, and procedures are implemented and followed.
7. Provides direction and discipline to employees and is responsible for the evaluation of personnel performance, recommends candidates for employment, and salary actions. Decisions may have a major impact on the overall success of the department or program.
8. Provides significant customer influence on operational issues.
9. Be able to apply theories, principles and concepts to operational planning and communicate effectively in oral and written methods.
10. Develop a strong, effective working relationship with the Technical Facilities Maintenance Team.
BA/BS degree in a related field.
3 years of experience in a similar field.
Experience with integration and fielding of fiber optics communication systems
EOE including disability and vets
Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen