Corporate Engagement Manager - Climate Intelligence Program
Do you enjoy solving challenging problems, thinking in numbers, and working in groups? Do you have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity, and ability to influence others to take action towards building a sustainable energy future? Do you have a passion for making the world a better place? If yes, then join our growing team!
Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) is seeking an Engagement Manager to support the Market Activation workstream of the Climate Intelligence Program. RMI staff bring a variety of skillsets, and we welcome candidates with diverse educational and work backgrounds. In this new position, you will both directly and indirectly guide the development of key, complex relationships across both internal and external stakeholders to meet the goals of the Climate Intelligence Program.
RMI’s Climate Intelligence Program focuses on curating emissions and climate data while also translating this data into actionable insights and tools for those best positioned to reduce emissions. We collaborate with a global network of businesses, financial institutions, and policymakers to deliver data and insights that are accurate, actionable, and real-time, ultimately enabling emissions reductions in some of the largest industrial sectors. Our work focuses not only on quantifying the risks of climate inaction, but also on identifying emerging opportunities to reduce emissions.
As part of the Climate Intelligence Program, the Supply Chain Emissions initiative seeks to demystify carbon accounting practices and to develop insights that drive decarbonization. Partnerships with fellow NGOs & leading corporates are of critical importance to develop, test, and scale use of actionable climate data that Climate Intelligence is developing in concert with the global energy transition.
The Climate Intelligence Program seeks a Engagement Manager to engage with businesses to propel the adoption of our efforts in the harmonization and digitization of carbon accounting. As the Engagement Manger, you will be responsible for tracking, cultivating, and managing existing relationships with external stakeholders from both the business and the nonprofit/governmental ecosystem.
Liaising internally with RMI’s Development team as well as the Cross-Program team, you will ensure all engagement aligns with existing institute protocols. Within the program, you will be in charge of structuring and delivering a market activation strategy for all activities—at times working with RMI’s Corporate Engagement Director—and will manage the workstream on market activation spanning all relevant sectors, from mining & metals to oil & gas and other materials.
As a manager at RMI, you will be a creative project leader who guides and manages team members to craft visionary yet practical solutions for our industry partners and research. You would be a primary project manager and work closely with and under the direction of RMI’s Principals and Managing Directors to design and execute projects.
Managing projects to yield breakthrough insights and results
- With senior guidance, shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: direct change models, research methods, timelines, resource plans, communications plans, and stakeholder engagement
- Direct how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, rigorously reviewing and providing quality control on findings from RMI teams and partners
- Manage relationships with key project partners and stakeholders, working closely in tandem with key relationship holders at RMI
- Coach and motivate project team members and resolve any issues throughout project life cycle, including writing project-level reviews for junior staff
- Oversee teams that number between 2 to 25 contributors (internal and external)
- Regularly contribute to external interviews, videos, and publications to share project insights
- Work hand-in-hand with our development team to develop funding strategies.
Provides thought leadership
- Develop strategies for scaling energy efficiency and/or renewables, domestically and internationally
- Manage and contribute to research efforts and publications
- Represent RMI as an industry expert at key conferences and other public speaking events
- Master’s level degree, equivalent, or higher, in sustainability, renewables procurement, environment, economics, engineering, geography, or energy-related discipline.
- At least 5+ years of direct relevant experience.
- Familiarity with energy, climate science, and the supply chains of one or more sectors including metals (steel, copper, aluminum), plastics, cement, and/or agriculture/land use.
- Experience cultivating and stewarding external relationships, preferably with the business community.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and ability to write and speak to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work as part of a team and follow tracking and engagement protocols around relationships that may be matrix-managed across the organization.
- Familiarity with the basics of carbon accounting, and the ecosystem of national, corporate and product level emissions reporting.
- Excellent time management, organization, entrepreneurship, and drive.
- Prior experience in consulting, project management, or other related fields.
- Ability to stick with a problem through resolution but also knowing when to ask for help.
- Ability to listen actively, be diplomatic, and share knowledge and information well.
- Experience working among diverse groups with varying perspectives and/or facilitating thought provoking conversations.
- Demonstrated initiative and accomplishment in previous work.
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that this role be based at one of our office locations in the United States. This will be discussed further throughout the interview process.
The starting salary range for this position is $91,000 - $106,000, and this role has an additional 10% bonus target! Salary is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMI staff and collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5°C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world’s most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.