Statewide Crew Habitat and Access Biologist
STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
FWWB09-2021-02265-Statewide Crew Habitat and Access Biologist-Casper
SALARY: $4,429.06 - $5,707.55 Monthly
OPENING DATE: 12/14/21
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department seeks a Statewide Crew Habitat and Access Biologist based out of Casper, WY. The position is part of a team, which manages, develops, and improves wildlife habitat and public facilities on Wildlife Habitat Management Areas (WHMAs), Public Access Areas (PAAs), hatcheries, and elk feedgrounds. This position provides technical consultation to regional management in the development and enhancement of wildlife habitat improvement projects for aquatic and terrestrial wildlife on wildlife habitat areas, private, federal, and state lands. The team will also complete project (work) requests, habitat development projects, and services generally requiring heavy equipment.
Human Resource Contact: Laura Curtis - 307-777-4507 firstname.lastname@example.org
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Develops, improves, and maintains public facilities on WHMAs, PAAs, and elk feedgrounds. This includes roads, parking areas, outhouses, and signs.
- Performs habitat development and restoration for wildlife (aerating, mowing, seeding, guzzlers, stream restoration, etc.)
- Must coordinate and communicate with Department personnel, state and federal agencies, private landowners, and the public.
- Completes projects and tasks associated with developing, maintaining, and repairing wetlands, irrigated meadows, farm fields, transportation systems, and fences.
- Will develop, maintain and repair wildlife habitat improvement projects on WHMAs, PAAs and for aquatic and terrestrial project requests.
- Position operates heavy equipment, large trucks, tractors, and other equipment to complete these tasks.
- The position is required to maintain and care for heavy equipment, large trucks, vehicles, and other equipment.
- Must comply with federal and state regulations (OSHA, MSHA, DOT, ADA, DEQ, etc.).
- Responsible for the safe, efficient, and cost-effective utilization of workforce, equipment, materials, and other essential resources.
- Assists with the coordination, designing, planning, review, cost analysis, and evaluation of improvements, repairs, and maintenance projects for wetlands, irrigation systems, transportation facilities, public facilities, and fences on these lands or other department personnel.
Preference will be given to those with a bachelor's degree in wildlife management, range management, ecology, biology, zoology, or closely related field.
** Must have a valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a CDL, including a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate, within 6 months after hire.
- Knowledge of wildlife habitat, range management, stream restoration, farming, and construction techniques.
- Ability to operate 4x4 pickups, various trailers, heavy trucks, truck/trailer combinations in excess of 80,000 lbs, heavy construction equipment, power tools, hand tools, transits, chainsaws, welders, cutting torches, laser levels, ATV's, and other equipment to complete projects and tasks in adverse conditions.
- Knowledge of aquatic & terrestrial wildlife management and habitat requirements.
- Knowledge of natural resource management, range management, wetland management, and habitat management.
- Knowledge of engineering, construction, heavy equipment use, and construction procedures for working on projects.
- Skill in written and oral communication and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in organizing, planning, prioritizing, and time management for self and temporaries.
- Skill & ability to evaluate and problem solve.
- Ability to listen, be a team player, and communicate with other employees and the public.
- Ability to follow safety procedures for construction work and heavy equipment operation.
- Requires strength and stamina to work in extreme outdoor conditions and pack heavy supplies to remote locations.
- Must be able to effectively and safely operate large trucks, heavy equipment, farm equipment, and power tools.
- Ability to work alone and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to utilize a computer to prepare work plans, reports, budgets, and maps.
Bachelor's Degree (typically in Wildlife Management)
0-3 years progressive work experience (typically in Wildlife Management) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Wildlife Biologist I
Education & Experience Substitution:
4-6 years of progressive work experience (typically in Wildlife Management) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Wildlife Biologist I
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to operate Class 8 heavy trucks, heavy construction equipment, farm machinery, power tools, hand tools, and other equipment to complete projects and tasks in adverse conditions.
- Extensive and continuous overnight travel is required.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Extended stays in campers.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions.
- FLSA: Exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check before appointment.
- Please submit a cover letter to Ray Bredehoft, Habitat and Access Branch Chief, 5400 Bishop Blvd, Cheyenne WY 82006 (Email: email@example.com), in addition to submitting the state application. The cover letter should include career plans and suitability for the job.
- CONTACT: For more information regarding this position, contact Ray Bredehoft, Habitat and Access Branch Chief, at 307-777-4682.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Service Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
A complete listing of the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure can be viewed at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/wyoming/default.cfm.
See Human Resource Contact Information
in the General Description Section
Statewide, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #FWWB09
Job # 2021-02265
FWWB09-2021-02265-STATEWIDE CREW HABITAT AND ACCESS BIOLOGIST-CASPER
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.