THE WORLD BANK GROUP, Washington D.C., United States.
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR A SHORT-TERM CONSULTANT
B-READY, Development Economics Vice Presidency
The Development Economics Vice Presidency (DEC) seeks to increase understanding of development policies and programs by providing intellectual leadership and analytical services to the World Bank Group and the development
community. DEC is the research and data arm of the World Bank Group. The Business Ready (B-READY) (https://www.worldbank.org/en/businessready) project provides a quantitative assessment of the business environment for private sector development, published with annual frequency and covering most economies worldwide. The B-READY data and summary report aim to advocate for policy reform, inform specific policy advice and provide data for development policy research. Through its focus on private sector development, B-READY effectively contributes to meeting the WBG twin goals of eliminating poverty and boosting shared prosperity.
A highly-motivated Short Term Consultant (STC) is invited to join the B-READY team to work primarily on one of the utility connections topic. The position requires strong data analysis and research skills, good familiarity with the technical areas outlined among the requirements, ability to work in a fast-paced and multicultural environment, as well as excellent organization skills and detail-orientation.
The STC position does not offer any financial compensation for relocation and does not cover any of the benefits such as pension, health insurance and maternity leave. The appointment will be for 110 days starting early October, with possibility of extension based on business need and performance. STC positions with the B-READY team are normally based in Washington DC. There is also a possibility to apply for a local STC position (at a local salary rate), in which case the consultant will be requested to adjust work hours to the Washington DC time zone. Headquarters STCs are expected to work in the WBG office a minimum of 4 days per week.
Candidates that have less than two years of work experience will be hired as STTs.
For further information about STC contracts please visit: https://www.worldbank.org/en/about/unit/human-resources/stt-and-stc-visa-and-employment.
Duties of the consultancy will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Recruit qualified experts to be consulted on the assigned topic, including by email and phone calls across different time zones.
- Administer questionnaires to experts and conduct all the necessary follow up, through Survey Solutions.
- Conduct data validation by comparing experts’ responses against each other and against other sources of information, as per B-READY data validation protocols.
- Download data collected through Survey Solutions, merge and prepare datasets for analysis.
- Analyze raw microdata collected from experts and from firm-level surveys, using Stata.
- Build and maintain an assigned set of indicators for a specified subset of countries.
- Research indicator-specific laws and regulations.
- Contribute to literature review for the assigned indicator.
- Contribute to questionnaire design, programming and distribution, using Survey Solutions.
- Prepare high-level written documents such as communiques/letters/explanatory notes to Governments and World Bank Group staff.
- Present B-READY data and methodology to government officials.
- Substantially contribute to B-READY functions: data analysis, report production, website, media, etc.
- Take part in data collection missions, as requested.
- Provide general support to the project, as required.
- Follow all the applicable B-READY protocols outlined in the B-READY Manual and Guide
The B-READY team is looking for qualified candidates that meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must have an advanced degree (Masters level) in Economics or related field and 2 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Relevant professional/academic experience and knowledge of regulatory issues in the areas of infrastructure/utility services are strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are essential. Professional fluency in one or more languages (French, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish) is required. Language skills indicated in CVs will be tested during the interviews.
- Track record of data analysis experience using Stata, R, Python, or other statistical software.
- Experience with questionnaire programming software such as Survey Solutions, NGSurvey, etc. strongly preferred.
- A candidate should possess strong research and analytical skills, demonstrated through job experience.
- Excellent command of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to work without close supervision, to do effective multitasking, and to deal with rapidly shifting priorities under pressure.
- Ability to operate in a multicultural environment and build effective working relations with local and external counterparts.
- Well-developed interpersonal and team building skills.
- High level of energy, initiative, persistence, positive attitude and drive for results given the agreed objectives and deadlines. Also, organized, patient and detail oriented.
- Candidates are expected to be familiar with the project as part of interview preparation.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their CV and a Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 23, 2023 or sooner (applicants will be considered on a rolling basis). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.