Accounting Technician (GS-5/6)
Apply online through 9/29/2023 at: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/749451200
Candidates must apply online through USAJOBS to receive consideration..
This is NOT a remote work opportunity. Positions are located in Limestone, Maine. Telework in the local commuting area is authorized, subject to supervisory review and determination.
This opportunity is open to US Citizens and Nationals.
- Perform accounting work which involves processing vouchers; checking and assigning appropriation codes.
- Update pay or accounting systems; maintaining ledgers; processing pay actions; or performing debt collection.
- Reconcile accounts having a variety of transactions (e.g., purchase orders, contracts, travel orders, et cetera) to research document discrepancies and make necessary adjustments in the subsidiary and general ledgers.
- Maintain, balance, and reconcile general ledger accounts, according to applicable policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Verify accuracy of accounting data to ensure sufficient funds have been obligated using applicable mathematical formulas.
- Conduct comprehensive reviews through the extraction of data from multiple system sources to audit data in the general or subsidiary ledger or to validate compliance with policy, regulation and procedures.
- Review complex documents to verify accounting data and mathematical accuracy to determine necessary accounting transactions before entering data into accounting systems.
- All responsibilities described are at the full performance level (GS-6) and if filled at the lower grade will be developmental in nature.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for federal employment
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification.
- Please note, this is NOT a 100% virtual/remote position where work may be performed from any location in the US. This position is eligible for local telework near the duty station of the position, subject to management review and approval.
- One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade GS-04 within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized Experience Is Defined As:
- Performing duties that support the processing of financial/accounting transactions using standardized procedures that may include; reviewing financial/accounting systems information/documents for accuracy/completeness, inputting financial/accounting information into automated systems, or correcting invalid financial/accounting transactions.
- One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade GS-05 within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized Experience Is Defined As:
- Applying knowledge of accounting systems, policies and procedures for the examination, verification and maintenance of accounts and accounting data; validating, monitoring and maintaining accounting transactions and accounting records; researching discrepancies and making adjustments.
- Paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social) is qualifying. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience is generally not applicable above GS-05, but may be considered if it is directly related to the position being filled.
Substitution of Education for Experience (GS-05):
- Four years of successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation, or the equivalent, is a prerequisite may be substituted to meet the specialized experience required. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university. You must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
Substitution of Education for Experience (GS-06):
- Six months of graduate education may be substituted to meet the specialized experience required when it is directly related to the work of the position being filled. If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be used to substitute for the specialized experience requirement.
For more information or to apply visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/749451200